Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What Do You Have to Offer?

Today's Works for Me Wednesday is a simple idea that you've probably come across before, but it works for me and that's the point of sharing, right? =)

Life can be expensive and we often pay a lot for services that are specialized...because we cannot do those things. There are people far more capable than myself at decorating a house or designing a flowerbed arrangement. However, there are other things that I do that they cannot. I am awesome at organization, I once was a good pianist (and could be again with practice), and I have a bit of an obsession with blogging (not that I'm good at it, but I'm quite consistent I believe). Guess what? How about a trade? I will organize your closet if you will tell me what to plan around my house to make it look nice.

What is the further beauty? It doesn't even have to be a talent. It can be a tool that you own or even the fact that you live somewhere touristy (like we do).

Here is my current example of bartering that is about to occur:

A friend of mine from high school is going to visit Savannah with her mom next month. We could easily direct them to a great hotel and recommend some fine eating establishments. However, that's not what's going to happen. You see, they will be staying with us (save money there), we can show them inexpensive fun, we have insider info on some tours, and we can get "locals" treatment at some particularly desired restaurant favorites in Savannah (no names, but if you are familiar with the city, think TL&S) =). Now we offered this anyway because they are friends and we love them, but how are they "paying" us back? My friend is a VERY GOOD hobbyist/semi-amateur photographer and she will be making portraits of our son in the city for us. Awesome! She is so much better than we are, so it will be like a photo shoot for free! And no exaggerated prices for prints of it! HOORAY!

So today I am recommending to you to barter. Trade yardwork for sewing; baking for cleaning; ironing for someone fixing your leaky faucet; photography for room and board; piano lessons for babysitting. Seriously...whatever you have to offer, DO IT. You may otherwise never know how valuable your services are!

So this doesn't only Work for Me, but it will work for my friends who's visiting as well! Visit Rocks in My Dryer to see what works for others!

3 comments:

  1. I love doing this! In fact, when I ask to stay with friends when going out of town, I offer to cook them dinner one night as a thank you.

    I win because I get a cozy place to stay (and get to see my friends) and they win because they don't have to cook or take me to dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Kaye! And it really is generous of you to be so hospitable. It will save them a ton of money if your hotels cost anything like ours.

    We'll be watching for those pictures of Patrick:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea here! I love win win!

    ReplyDelete