Wednesday, November 3, 2010

WFMW - Recandying

This is a repost from last year, but I definitely feel it's worth putting out here again for anyone who missed it!


Yes. I just made up a word. Don't look at me like that.

I've made an executive decision about the candy content in our house.

Patrick got LOADS of candy for Halloween this year (although this picture is not one we took). Too much for any one child really. When I took in all of the candy the wheels in my head started turning, and I had a brilliant idea.

Some of that candy will go in his Christmas stocking.

Is that cheating? Maybe, but I will explain the method to my madness.

He got far more candy than we want him to eat. And since we limit his candy intake it will probably take him up until December 24th to finish off his Halloween stash. Then he would more appear? I don't think so.

So I took some of his non-Halloween specific candy out of his trick-or-treating bag and put it in a bag with other items waiting for Christmas. He hasn't missed it a bit (except for one blue pixie stick that he had noticed had disappeared. It surprisingly was found IN THE HALLOWEEN BAG the following day). If your child is more attentive to his/her candy stash, you might want to slowly take a little out over a few days. It would be less obvious that way.

So instead of regifting, we are recandying this year. Cuts down on the amount of candy he gets across all of the holidays and saves me money at Christmas! Win-win I think!

So that is what is going to work for us this holiday season. Make sure you visit What Works for Me Wednesday over at We Are THAT Family to see what works for everyone else - this week is a fall recipe edition although I didn't offer one.

Photo credit: Amarand Agasi

7 comments:

  1. I've done the same thing before. I'll also sometimes buy the Halloween candy at Target when it gets to 75% off and then save it for the stockings. I've put it in the back of the freezer in the past. The kids can't find it and it stays fresh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freezer = brilliant! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that is funny! I never thought to do that, but it makes sense I suppose. We end up with candy left over from every holiday. By Christmas am throwing away Halloween candy. Then by Easter I am throwing away Christmas candy.

    So much waste. It's terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Niki--I'm just cheap like that. But it works! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I don't have little kids, but I froze a lot of our leftover Halloween candy (I bought too much) for the big 'kids' stockings and for recipes.
    And to keep myself from eating too many more Butterfingers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great idea! We limit the kids candy too. Only, I just spared them and ate it all. Ahem. I know. I am awesome. What can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Marni--I would do the same. This is also part of my intake control plan! =)

    ReplyDelete