Wednesday, April 28, 2010

WFMW - Help Infants Grasp Food

Now that our little one is getting bigger, she is eating more and more finger foods. We had some bananas on hand this past week, so I decided to let her try those out for size.

She loved them. She devoured them. She wanted more.

But she really had a lot of trouble picking them up.

Her dexterity isn't perfect yet, I reasoned, so I tried to help her by picking some up for her to feed them to her.

And then I realized, bananas, when not in their peel, are quite slippery. Especially when they are cut up into tiny bite-sized pieces.

And then I remembered. I remembered a tip that I saw a lifetime ago (maybe less) on the internet. Possibly through Works for Me Wednesday. So I can't take credit for this one, but I can't remember who to give it to, so I will just say that while this is a brilliant idea, it is not original.

I coated the little banana pieces in bread crumbs. Yep. Right out of the canister ('cause I'm lazy and buy bread crumbs rather than creating them). I tried not to add too many so they wouldn't suck all of the moisture from her mouth, but the trick certainly helped her grasp that fruit!

So I pass along this tip to you, in hopes that maybe someone else can benefit as I did.

Go over to We Are THAT Family and see what is working for everyone else!

Photo credit: tjyobazee

3 comments:

  1. I did this with the crushed crumbs at the bottom of the Cheerio bag. It's such a great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That IS a great idea, Saved Quarter! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 8-month old twin boys I'm going to try this on today! They love bananas. But I really want them to work on feeding themselves finger foods.

    ReplyDelete